Friday, June 15, 2012

Ray of Sunshine: Start-to-Finish

I really enjoy watching videos and reading blog posts that feature start-to-finish projects.  Other than Shimelle, (of course!), one of my new favorite creative-process bloggers is Ashli Oliver (www.purplemailbox.com).  Her start-to-finish posts never fail to inspire me and teach me something new. I love her artsy style! Check her out!  

Anyway, I love that there are bloggers who are not afraid to put their selves out there and share their creativity.  I want to be like that.  So, I hope you enjoy viewing the creative process of my "a ray of sunshine" layout. 

 Caran D' Ache Neocolor II Watersoluble Pastels, are the bomb!  I just added some color to the top portion of the pastel container (scribbled on it!) and mixed in some water.  I get the brush saturated with the watercolor and splatter it at a diagonal  across the page.  Note:  The water will cause your cardstock to buckle a bit.  That doesn't bother me too much, because I know once it goes into it's final resting place (album) it will flatten out somewhat.  If this really bothers you, you could use watercolor paper as a base.  It is just a little more expensive.


I have had these AC Dear Lizzy rub-ons for several months and decided to either use them or loose them! I just started randomly adding the rub-ons to the edges of the paper.
 I overlapped them and angled them in three different spots around the page.  This is my "visual" triangle... so far.  You will see at the end of this post, that a lot of the rub-ons end up getting covered up some.  That is okay with me.
 I found some coordinating papers (most are from the AC Dear Lizzy- Neapolitan Collection) and started cutting some rectangles in different sizes.  The largest rectangle at the bottom is a cloud pattern on vellum, that piece is going to serve as my anchor for the rest of the layers.  On top of that I created a mat by angling and stacking the other rectangles. Lastly, I use a couple of the decorative-sides of the branding strips to run vertically through and across the other layers to create some balance.
 Added the photo of my precious grand-baby, Emery.  I gave it a white mat, which helps it "stand-out" amongst the other lovely colors and patterns.  Next, I started playing around with placement for some embellishments (Bingo Card and Jar) and cut out some of those darling little vellum clouds.  I move stuff around the page, as I am creating... a lot!  Which is why I only add adhesive to the center of things, that way I can layer and move stuff around pretty easily.
 These are a few things I pulled out of my stash for the "texturing" portion of the layout. :)
 I gathered the lace as I stitched to add a little dimension.
 More adding ...
 and more...

 and more...
 A little subtracting...  I covered up the "Contagious Laugh" sticker, which was VERY stuck, with some Washi Tape, because I decided that this is where I wanted to add my title.  I also removed the "All Smiles" sticker on the Jar embellishment.
 Had to take a lunch break, because I was STARVING! :)  By the way, this is left over Quinoa Tabbouleh, I made for supper yesterday.  It is DELICIOUS and very nutritious!
 Back to creating...  I added a few stickers and my journaling.
Well, that is the final layout!  I hope you found some inspiration!  Thanks for joining me on this creative journey!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! What a wonderful post! You KNOW I do love a good start to finish and a peak at other's process!! Thanks for the sweet mention :) Your layout is beyond gorgeous! I love how you did those rub ons!

Cynthia said...

GORGEOUS page!! Thanks so much for sharing how you made it. Have a wonderful weekend!! =D

Nance said...

I love love your layout! Thank you for sharing a step by step and I might scraplift if you don't mind. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit me on my blog today. Just what I need to get it going. Thanks so much....

JulieJ said...

How lovely. I'm beginning to think I think I'm done too early.

rhh said...

I looks great, for me a new idea usuing rubons for the background sheet.
Thanks for sharing

Lisa-Jane said...

So much yumminess, so many layers, all so delicious.

Lea Lacoste said...

this page is absolutely amazing ♥♥ love love your background, the rubons on the side and all the details. thanks for sharing your process!

Ana Castro said...

Love it, Kelly!!! Thank you for the inspiration, ; ))

The Great Outdoors

Hey friend! Thank you for stopping by! I just finished uploading a process video for my layout titled, The Great Outdoors. I used an Echo...