Sunday, June 3, 2012

Scrap Basket Buster Challenge

 
My scrap basket was overflowing. (This photo is an older one, because I failed to get a before photo of my scrap basket.  So, this photo doesn't really do it justice.)  It was literally overflowing with gorgeous patterns and colors!  All this scrap goodness was making me feel guilty.  Yes. Guilty.  I hate to see all these lovely papers go unused and unloved.  

Part of my problem is TIME.  I am sure many of you can relate. :)  I just don't have a ton of time to scrap.  Plus, I am a very slow scrapper!  I needed a more expedient method of using up these scraps.  Something I can do in small increments of time.  For me, the fastest part of creating a layout is getting the paper layered on the background.  Also, I can do this in short spurts of time.  The slowest part for me is adding photos, embellishments, journaling, etc.  

So, I issued myself the following challenge:

  • Create as many layouts as possible, using up these scraps.
  •  No new papers, other than full sheets for the backgrounds.
  • Add photos, journaling, and other embellishments after I have created base layouts.
  • Whatever I create (like it or not), I must use it somehow!
  • Tools are okay.

Some of the tools I used.

It took me about a week... a few minutes here and there, to create the following 13 layout bases.

( *I failed to get a before photo of these two "blank" layout bases)  


This is what my scrap basket looks like now:


I used at least 3/4 of the scraps in my basket!  I am so proud and feel so much better, knowing that I am not wasting all this pretty paper!  Plus, I have 13 new layouts which means I can tell 13 new stories!  Whoot! Whoot!


Below are 5 of the completed layouts, using the scrap-bases:






I got these layouts done in two days, a relatively short time span for me.  I will share the rest of my layouts, as I complete them. 

Final Thoughts:  I really like this method of scrapbooking!  It works for me.    If you are short on time and have an overflowing scrap stash, this might work for you too!  Why not give it a try? If you do take the challenge on, I would LOVE to see what you create!  

Please share a link and comments are always appreciated!  :)

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

WOW!! You GO, girl!! I love your layouts and the finished pages. Gorgeous creations with just scraps--awesome!!

Anonymous said...

How totally awesome is this??? LOVE seeing all those bases and then the way some came to completion - really cool! Gorgeous work!

Johanna said...

This is such a great idea!!! You did a great job!!! I'm inspired!

Lisa-Jane said...

They are so fabulous! You have inspired me to raid my scrap basket!

The Great Outdoors

Hey friend! Thank you for stopping by! I just finished uploading a process video for my layout titled, The Great Outdoors. I used an Echo...